Saving Lives, Saving Dollars
The Highway 55 coalition's mission is to secure right-of-way and related infrastructure improvements on the 40 mile segment of Highway 55 between I-494 in Plymouth to the western city limits of Annandale to increase safety, add capacity, add additional lanes, manage access control and add transit service where appropriate.
We invite you to get involved as every voice counts in our mission to improve the Highway 55 corridor by planning for the future. On our website you'll find various pages to educate you on the issues at hand, the goals of the coalition and the role you can play in shaping the outcome.
The coalition is excited to have your participation in our efforts. This website is just one example of how we are reaching out to the public, business and government sectors to increase awareness and membership in this important project. Take the time to view all the ways you can get involved with our mission.
Hwy 55 Corridor Coalition Brochure
View the Hwy 55 Corridor Coalition brochure
Hwy 55 Resurfacing Project 2012
From Ash Street in Rockford to west of Pinto Drive in Medina
Purpose and Benefits
The project restored the pavement structure and improved ride quality. The project also improved safety for motorists and pedestrians.
• Hwy 55 resurfacing project from Ash Street in Rockford to west of Pinto Drive in Medina
• Alternate Bid—Asphalt vs Concrete Design bid (Asphalt was determined to be the low bid)
• Add turn lanes at Vernon Street, Sioux Trail, Nyles Court, Yvette Street, Lake Sarah Heights Drive, Town Hall Drive, Pioneer Trail and Rolling Hills Road
• ADA Improvements, guardrail, curb & gutter and drainage
Challenges & Concerns
• Single lane traffic on Hwy 55 through the City of Rockford
• Detouring Hwy 55 traffic onto CSAH 50 for Stages 2 & 3
• Held 3 Project Open Houses for the Businesses/Public
• Held weekly meetings with affected agencies
• Project website, Hotline and Email address mailings
• Sent out weekly updates to email list
• Offered to hold Information booths at Businesses (Polaris had a booth)
Schedule & Staging
• Stage 1—Began April 24, 2012
• Stage 2 – Began June 11, 2012 with maximum 50 days to complete. Completed in 46 days
• Stage 3 – Began July 30, 2012 with maximum 34 days to complete. Completed in 31 days
• Contractor was eligible for up to 10 days maximum bonus @ $10,000/day for finishing work ahead of time.
• Completed ahead of schedule and within 2% over the budget
• Less complaints than expected
• Many compliments